Thanks for trying out the FREE PMP practice questions. The answers for the ten (10) questions are in “bold”. The rationale for the answer has also been included for each question.
The questions and answers were composed by PMP certified Project professional; Ogaga Johnson.
- You got appointed as a project manager on an existing project. You realize that the team members leave at any time and are not team players. You want to know if there are any existing operating guidelines for the team. In what document would you find this information?
- Communications management plan
- Project team assignments
- Team Charter
- Resource management plan
Answer rationale: The team charter is most accurate because this document is specially created to establish the team operating guidelines.
For a breakdown of the above question and the answer, check out my post: How to answer PMP practice exam questions
- A team member informs you about the conflict they are having with one of the software developers on the project. You tell the team member to inform you if such conflict reoccurs. What conflict resolution technique have you used?
Answer rationale: Withdraw is most correct because you are avoiding resolution at the moment and deferring it to a later time.
- You just finished the process of documenting the high level project description, requirements, deliverables and budget. What do you do next?
- Develop Project Management Plan
- Identify Stakeholders
- Direct & Manage Project work
- Plan Scope Management
Answer rationale: According to the PMBOK 6th edition, the next process after Developing the project charter is the Identify stakeholders process
- You are managing a project that involves building an airport in close proximity to a residential estate. The residents of the estate have requested to be kept informed on the project. You compile a list of residents and realize that there are over 200 residents in the estate. What communication method would be most suitable to use to keep the residents informed?
- Face to face meetings
- Conference calls
- Web portal
Answer rationale: Pull communication is best for communicating with a large audience. They can pull the information whenever they want. This way, people get the exact information they want eliminating the risk of them receiving irrelevant information. An example of pull communication is by using web portals. You have the project information/status update on the website and anyone interested goes to the website to get an update on the project.
- You just calculated variance analysis on your project. One of the results from your analysis is that the CPI on your project is 0.8. What does this tell you about the performance of your project?
- Project is behind schedule
- Project is ahead of schedule
- Project is over budget
- Project is under budget
Answer rationale: When CPI is less than 1, it means the project is spending more than the budget (over budget) and when CPI is greater than 1, it means that the project is spending less than the budget (under budget)
- Your project is way behind schedule and the customer has informed you that they can’t have a delay in schedule because they have a planned launch for the product. The customer informs you that they can add more funds to the project if that will ensure the project is completed on time. What corrective action would you take to ensure the project is completed on time?
- Schedule fast-tracking
- Resource leveling
- Schedule crashing
- Resource smoothing
Answer rationale: Schedule crashing is a schedule compression technique that adds more resources on a project to speed up the project time. This results in high cost. If the customer is willing to add more funds, you can add more resources on the project to ensure it is completed on time.
- You have categorized some stakeholders on your project as individuals with high power and low interest. What is the best way to engage these stakeholders?
- Manage them closely
- Monitor them
- Keep them informed
- Keep them satisfied
Answer rationale: According to the PMBOK 6th edition, stakeholders with high power and low interest should be kept satisfied. Stakeholders with high power and high interest should be managed closely; stakeholders with low power and high interest should be kept informed; stakeholders with low power and low interest should be monitored.
- You are in the process of closing your project. in the close out review meeting, one of the stakeholders refuse to sign off on the project because a feature wasn’t included. You inform the stakeholder that the feature wasn’t included because it wasn’t in the project scope but the stakeholder still insists that the feature was part of the scope. What document would you show the stakeholder to validate your claim?
- Project Scope statement
- Requirements management plan
- Requirements documentation
- Scope management plan
Answer rationale: Project Scope Statement contains the project exclusions. Therefore, the best document to show is the Project Scope Statement because it would show that the feature was clearly among the project exclusions.
- While identifying risks on your project, you decide to use a predetermined list of risk categories to help identify risks on your project. Which of the following is an example of the list used?
Answer rationale: VUCA is a predetermined list used in the identify risk process. Others include PESTLE and TECOP
- You are managing a building project and decide to award XYZ company the contract to do the interior decoration for the building because you have worked with them before and they delivered successfully. This is an example of?
- Sole Source
- Single Source
Answer rationale: Single source is when there are other sellers that can provide what you want to buy, however, you prefer to work with a particular seller.
How did you do in this test? Share your result with me in the comment section.
Wondering how to pass the PMP Exam? Get my FREE PMP Exam Checklist. It contains the 6 powerful tips that I used to prepare, study and pass the PMP Exam with above target in all domains at my first attempt.
If you have any questions or contribution, please do so by leaving a comment in the comment section below.
If this was useful, please share it with a PMP aspirant using the share buttons below.